Saturday, January 1, 2011

Something Wiki this way comes

I've not much to say on Wikis as the strengths and uses of them are fairly evident and well explained in some of the links from the Web 2.0 page. I just wish I was aware them when I was still doing stuff like group assignments back at uni- I'm sure they would have been around then but I guess few of us would have been aware of them at all. As for libraries using them I can see a fair amount of potential. A lot of the examples given seemingly weren't that different from a regular more static webpage but I guess without studying the changes and evolution of any of them it is hard to really see all that is happening with them and if it is a group creating the page i.e. the collected staff or a particular library or organisation I imagine behind the scenes the use of a Wiki site as opposed to a standard website means an unfortunate individual doesn't have to do it all (Hopefully). Within a workplace, any workplace, I could certainly see the use of a Wiki as a superior way of maintaining things like procedures and guidelines- as long as it properly moderated it would be a superior option in many ways to having umpteen different drafts of a certain procedure scattered across the local drives.

I suspect like many people the only wiki I use on a regular basis is the big one- Wikipedia which for all its faults I really love. It's a great quick answer tool, not recommended for in depth study by any means but excellent for the quick fix when required. I've spent many hours Wiki-surfing random topics when I just meant to look up one little thing and kept clicking on links.

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea of keeping work procedures and guidelines on a wiki rather than in multiple copies throughout networked drives - though I wonder if the wiki would still end up with different bits all over the place? I guess it would make it easier to track who put the copies everywhere, at least, and get them to fix it. Very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the problem with so many links, you end up getting sidetracked and too much time is wasted. As I said in my very first blog post - "It's a trap!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Wikipedia all the time and find it really useful as I have a client who is always asking for obscure information. I have managed to find something on wikipedia everytime.

    ReplyDelete