Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The mild taste of Delicious and the bad taste of Yahoo

I kind of feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over for a lot of the tools I've looked at for the Web 2.0 course but Delicious is another tool I can see the use of but I currently don't see much use for professionally or at home. At home I only have so many bookmarks and I don't need to tag them and if I need to access a certain site from another computer at any given time it ain't that hard to find it. At work I probably have even less bookmarks and I'm always on the same computer so again not really much use. I can see some potential use for it though. I imagine if you were researching something that required a lot of different websites or if you actually did use a lot different websites regularly for work it would be a pretty nifty way of organising it all, thanks to the tagging function. Also, if you were using a lot of different computers for whatever reason, because you travel around or might use different workstations at work or whatever, I can see the advantages.

It was fairly well laid and easy to use also. Nothing at all to do with Delicious The only problem I had was signing up with yahoo mail to get onto it at the start. For some reason every single user name/address I put in yahoo wouldn't let me use before I had to settle for a variation of my name with 6 random digits after it. I don't know if this because so many names are taken on yahoo (I find that hard to believe) or if it is because they have some weird and unclear parameters about what address you can use but it took way longer than it should to create a simple email address.

2 comments:

  1. Trying to create those kind of email addresses is always a pain - unless your name is something like Serendipity Longbottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is I create one years ago for what-ever reason and then don't use it for ages and forget it, and then when I try and create it again later it already exists - but do you think I can remember the password!!!

    ReplyDelete